ISIS claims responsibility for Kabul blasts

Afghan security personnel block a road near the site of a suicide attack close to an intelligence agency compound in Kabul
Kabul: Four killed in suicide attack at Afghan Voice
Autor

28 Diciembre, 2017

More than 80 people were injured after three explosions went off near a Shia cultural center and the Afghan Voice news agency in Kabul at around 10.30 a.m. local time Thursday morning, the BBC reported. Officials said there appears to have been more than one attacker.

A graphic video, shared by TOLO, showed the wrecked inside of the centre after the blast.

Shiite leader Abdul Hussain Ramazandada said according to witnesses, at least one suicide bomber sneaked into the event and sat with attendees before detonating his device.

No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack but the Islamic State group affiliate in Afghanistan has claimed several brutal attacks on Shiites in recent months in Kabul.

In November, IS said it was behind a gun attack on the Shamshad TV station that killed one staff member.

The bombing attack targeting the Afghan Voice News Agency on Thursday is the latest effort from terrorists trying to silence the media in Afghanistan, which raised awareness among the general public about increasing terrorist acts in the country, a Kabul-based media advocacy group told Sputnik. Afghanistan remains one of the world's most dangerous countries for journalists and media workers.

While the bomb has been described as one of the largest non-nuclear devices ever used, its destructive power, equivalent to 11 tonnes of TNT, pales in comparison with the relatively small atomic bombs dropped on Japan in 1945, which had blasts equivalent to between 15,000 and 20,000 tonnes of TNT. The other explosions occurred as people fled, he said.

The two-story cultural center is located in a poor area of the Shiite-dominated Dasht-e-Barchi neighborhood in the west of the capital.

Afghan media has also previously been targeted by militants, underlying the risks faced by journalists in the war-torn country. "By sowing terror, the Taliban and Islamic State have created information "black holes" in many regions since 2015".

The Tabayan centre also has offices in the Iranian cities of Tehran and Mashhad and is believed to have close ties with religious and cultural centres in Iran.

President Ashraf Ghani's spokesman issued a statement calling the attack an "unpardonable" crime against humanity and pledging to destroy terrorist groups, Reuters reported. "In one of the deadliest years on record, journalists and other civilians continue to be ruthlessly targeted by armed groups".


Mas noticias